Cactus Asphalt is Here to Give You the Details about Asphalt Paving
When it comes to paving surfaces, there are many options to choose from. One of the most popular paving choices is asphalt, due to its budget-friendly prices, overall appearance, and drivability. It makes an excellent choice for both residential driveways and commercial parking lots. At Cactus Asphalt, we understand you want to gather all the information you can before deciding which paving surface is best for your needs, and we’re here to help. We’ve created an in-depth guide telling you everything you need to know about asphalt paving in Phoenix, AZ. Read on to learn more and feel free to contact us with any questions.
The Different Types of Asphalt
There are several different types of asphalt used in paving jobs, each with their own unique characteristics. Though all asphalt is made from mineral aggregates and bitumen, each type will have varying formulations to meet the unique requirements of the job. There are hundreds of potential mix combinations that can be created to meet your specific needs. Your contractor will be able to formulate the right mix for asphalt project. In most cases, the mix needed for your job will fall into one of these categories:
- Porous Asphalt: Porous asphalt is one of the most environmentally friendly paving options. This type of asphalt has tiny holes throughout the surface and material, which provides an eco-friendly way to manage stormwater. The water is able to travel through the holes in the asphalt and reach the ground underneath where it can go through natural water cleansing process.
- Warm Mix Asphalt: Warm mix asphalt is manufactured at a lower temperature than other asphalt types, which use fewer fossil fuels. However, this type of asphalt will require more binding materials to assist in pouring and spreading the asphalt at a lower temperature.
- Cold Mix Asphalt: The manufacturing process of cold mix asphalt is very simple, easy, and can be completed at nearly any temperature. This type of asphalt stays soft in cold temperatures, which helps to repel water. Due to these properties, it is most often used for pothole repairs.
- Hot Mix Asphalt: This is the most common type of asphalt used in paving projects. Hot mix asphalt is heated to a high temperature, usually between 300 to 350 degrees, before it is poured.
- Coarse Graded Asphalt: This type of asphalt is usually used as a binder or base coat to support finer grade mixes when they’re used for surface lifts on residential driveways, commercial parking lots, or municipal roads.
The Benefits of Asphalt Surfaces
When deciding between asphalt and other paving surfaces for your projects in Phoenix, AZ, you’ll want to consider the numerous benefits asphalt provides. In most cases, asphalt is more budget and environmentally friendly than other options, which many people are unaware of. However, once you do the research, it’s easy to see why asphalt is such a popular choice. Some of the most prominent benefits of asphalt include:
- It’s Recyclable: Asphalt is 100% recyclable, which means any old asphalt removed during a project can be repurposed for another job. This recycled material is often even stronger and more durable than new mix asphalt.
- It’s Durable: Asphalt is a durable material, with most asphalt surfaces lasting between 15 and 20 years. When you perform regular pavement maintenance, this lifespan can be extended even further.
- It Helps Reduce Noise: Compared to other paving surfaces, asphalt is one of the quietest options. The materials used in the creation of asphalt are natural noise reducers as they absorb road noise, making it a quieter option.
- Installation is Fast: The installation of new asphalt can be completed relatively quickly, depending on the size of the project. The materials needed to create strong asphalt surfaces are readily available and can be quickly mixed and applied at nearly any location.
- It Provides Good Water Drainage: Though all asphalt types are good at draining water, porous asphalt is the best option for superior drainage. This helps you better manage rainwater that falls on your paved surface and helps water get back into the groundwater process.
- It’s Budget-Friendly: Asphalt is one of the most affordable paving options, which is great for those on a budget. It is often much more cost-efficient than concrete, allowing you to pave a larger surface for a lower price.
How Asphalt Can Be Repaired
Though asphalt is a durable paving solution, it is not completely immune to wear and damage. Over time, asphalt surfaces can develop cracks, potholes, depressions, and other damage, leaving the surface more difficult to traverse and creating potentially unsafe walking conditions. The good news is, asphalt pavement can be easily repaired in most cases. All you need is to hire an experienced contractor to complete the repairs. A reputable asphalt contractor will be able to fill cracks, seal the surface, patch damaged areas, or resurface your paved surface.
Contact Cactus Asphalt Today
Now that you know everything you need to know about asphalt paving, it’s clear to see how it’s an excellent option for all your paving projects. If you would like additional information on the asphalt options we provide at Cactus Asphalt, we encourage you to reach out to us today. We can discuss your needs and provide you with a quote once we know more about your project. No matter where you’re located in the Phoenix, AZ area, we’re the right team to complete the job. Please contact us today!